Taking care of your teeth, gums, and the rest of your mouth, including the repair or replacement of defective teeth is what defines dental care. It’s common to see a person suffering from dental diseases due to carelessness and lack of knowledge of good oral hygiene.
It is said that healthy gums and teeth are extremely important to keep your entire body system healthy and sound. Lack of proper care and a regular check up with your dentist may lead to several diseases like tooth decay, gingivitis, dental plaque, periodontal disease, mouth odor, etc..
Symptoms and prevention of tooth decay, gingivitis and periodontal disease:
1. Tooth Decay: The main cause of tooth decay is an acid base chemistry or an excess amount of acid. This is associated with sugar bugs, those who regularly eat sweet without brushing right after.
Symptoms: First, a white spot appears on the tooth, which will lead to an early cavity if not dealt with. Cavities will begin with a light brown color on the tooth, and gradually become darker. Prevention:
• Be sure to brush twice daily, morning and before bedtime as well as after every meal.
• Floss daily (at least once), I know it’s a chore but it’s your smile we’re talking about here. (:–)
• Consult a dentist for a regular cleaning and examination. Try to follow their recommendations.
• Make sure retainers, dentures and other appliances are clean and don’t skip their recommended cleaning procedures.
2. Gingivitis & Periodontal Disease: Gingivitis is inflammation of the gums, whereas periodontal disease is the advanced stage of gum disease, which attacks the gums, bone and around the teeth. Symptoms: swollen gums, mouth sores, bright red appearance of gums and bleeding gums. Prevention:
• Brush your teeth twice daily.
• Gently floss the teeth once a day.
• Consult your dentist for further instructions.
Dental products to avoid:
There are many dental care products to avoid; these include strong antiseptic mouthwashes, bleaching agents, hydrogen peroxide, fluoride toothpastes, alcohol breath fresheners and other oral hygiene products.
On the plus side they kill bacteria but also promote dental plaque which will make things worse in the end.
Products for dental care are: antioxidant tooth powder and probiotic mouthwash. Consult your dentist for the best products for your situation.
Children are more susceptible to dental problems.
They are prone to eating chocolates, candies and sweets and thus get easily affected and suffer from tooth decay and other problems. So it is important for parents to know the basics of good dental care and guide your children accordingly.
These few simple steps can keep you and your family from severe pain, health hazards and will help us to keep smiling all through out the day.
If you enjoyed our content, we'd really appreciate some "love" with a share or two.
And ... Don't forget to have fun!